Jessica Franey, Esq.
Jessica Franey is passionate about protecting the rights of people with disabilities and her legal experience reflects her commitment to public service.
Ms. Franey started her legal career as a Staff Attorney at the Lanterman Special Education Law Clinic where she advocated for families and children with developmental disabilities. During this time, she attended IEP meetings to ensure these students had access to a free and appropriate public education, received the services in their IEPs, and were being educated in the least restrictive environment. She also filed compliance complaints when school districts violated federal and state education laws. Ms. Franey also has experience in juvenile dependency proceedings, immigration law, civil rights, family law, and contract law.
Currently, Ms. Franey actively consults with a Los Angeles County Regional Center concerning legal issues that affect their clients and their families. This advocacy often includes her amicus curiae appearances in Mental Health Court, Probate Court, Criminal Court, and Dependency Court proceedings. Ms. Franey was drawn to the regional center because members of her family have disabilities and having access to necessary supports and services has made all the difference in their lives.
Ms. Franey received an undergraduate degree in Sociology and a minor in Child and Adolescent Development from California State University, Fullerton. She also received her Juris Doctorate law degree from UCLA School of Law and passed the California Bar Exam in 2017.
Primary practice areas of interest include protective proceedings for individuals with disabilities, special education, and juvenile dependency proceedings. She also provides extensive consultation to regional centers.
Areas of Practice
- Consultation to Regional Centers
- Special Education/504
- Lanterman Developmental Disabilities Act
- Juvenile Dependency Proceedings
- California, 2017
- Juris Doctorate – 2017 from UCLA School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology with minor in Child and Adolescent Development, from California State University, Fullerton
Pro Bono Activities
- Homelessness Prevention Law Clinic (Former Co-Chair and Volunteer)
- UCLA Street Law Clinic (Former Volunteer)
- Education Rights Clinic with Public Counsel (Former Volunteer)
- A New Way of Life Re-Entry Legal Clinic (Former Volunteer)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Waterson Huth & Associates is here to help. If you, a family member, or loved one needs an attorney to help navigate issues in the areas of Transition Planning, Conservatorship, Guardianship, Special Needs Trust, Estate Planning or Special Education, call us to schedule an appointment or complete the form below.